ANAHEIM – An Islamic mosque with plans to expand is now operating in a small former church that was previously occupied by a Maronite Catholic church.
The sale prompted questions – even from church parishioners – about the future of the site.
The Jafaria Islamic Society purchased the building at 1546 E. La Palma Ave. (near St. College Bouleverd) and has been using it as a mosque since June. The Islamic Society has plans to expand the building and change the façade with architecture more reminiscent of Islamic traditions.
The building is less than a mile from another mosque – the Islamic Institute of Orange County, on State College Boulevard.
St. John Maron Catholic Church, which follows the Maronite Catholic tradition founded by a fourth-century Syriac monk and is in communion…
View original post 727 more words